We are private! Still want to keep up with the Gales? Leave a comment with your email (will not be published) or contact me another way and I will send you an invite

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Am I getting old?

Ok, first off, me thinking about getting older isn't a jab at people who are over the age of 23 (I'm referring to the comment/look I always get from people who are older than me when I say something like, "I guess I'm just getting older"). And I'm not even necessarily "Old" but there comes different occasions in a person's life when you can reflect on where you are and where you've been and see the aging: whether it be maturing or turning a page in life, which is exactly where I am headed (and heaven knows I'm not maturing!)

On Monday after my "Day job" (referring to Department of Workforce Services) I went to my "Night job" (Utah State University Extension Office). After spending a couple of hours there I got into my car and sat there for a moment and letting it all soak in. Here I was, basically a grown up, I now have a job that is classified as a career. It pays well, offers insurance, retirement (I know seriously! I have a retirement fund) regular hours, holiday pay, paid vacation. Sitting in a adult car, for those of you who don't know after the Thanksgiving incident we finally decided it was time to invest in a more dependable car, that can fit more than 2 people comfortably. It's like our first little family car, but actually I was thinking it felt like a mom car. What can ya do? I also was dreading that fact that along with all this grown-up-ness I no longer get a 3 week Christmas Vacation, two days rather. It means we can't take off at the drop of a hat on a camping trip, cruise or weekday visit to see the family. I work. Which, don't get me wrong, I feel very blessed to have a job, and a great job at that, especially in these tougher times. Anyway, point being that I wanted to share my moment of page turning with you! I am glad to be growing and learning. That day I made the decision to age with class. I will never be ashamed of my age and will be proud of my wrinkles, as long as they are happy looking wrinkles....After all mom was right about 'your face getting stuck that way.' I choose to be happy with where I am in life and the transition stage between adults and college students (that's between adolescents and adults in case you don't know) is a great place for us to be! But enough of the serious....we all need a good laugh right?

A few Sundays ago I was at our friends house visiting. This is the same friend who lets us babysit for them (which we totally love!) We were sitting there chatting and Jess was telling me all the funny things her daughter does. She was telling me, "You know what's really crazy though, she's been making this like throaty garggling sound lately." I'm wasn't sure if I should laugh or turn 7 shades of red. Why? Because that came from my house! James makes that same kind of sound when he's...well being himself, and a few days before was telling me how he was teaching it to the baby and she was starting to copy him. So now Jess knows, all weird things her baby starts doing can probably be traced to our house... glad we could keep them hoppin'!

1 comment:

Anne Chovies said...

You're doing great! And transitioning very well. Life is great!